Monday, July 13, 2009

Leaving Colorado Springs.. Losing a tooth.. Buena Vista

Hi everyone!

So, we finished the house in Colorado Springs! YAY! I will post pictures eventually. We are at a lunch stop right now that was near a library so I thought I would catch up on my blogging.

In Colorado Springs:

I climbed Pike's Peak on foot(20 miles, 13 hrs, 6,000 ft). It was difficult but very rewarding. I made it to the tree lines before the weather was a little too threatening. But there was snow! Crazy!

I hit my face with a hammer on the workday.. and unfortunately lost part of a tooth. Through an amazing dentist who actually drove me to the worksite after putting in my crown, and opened on a day he wasn't open in order to get me a tooth before I left, I am back to normal now. In fact, my smile may look better than before!

We met two amazing home owners: one had a son who was born and weighed 1 pound. In fact, he required so much special equipment she had to send her older son to live with family. She was so excited to have her Habitat house and to be able to have both of her sons live with her again.

The other was a dad who worked all day and just wanted to get ahead. He had a goal to move into the house by new years eve, so some days he would come to the Habitat site at 5 pm after work and stay until midnight working on little details! He moved in on Christmas eve and decorated his sons room with Spiderman stuff because his son loved spiderman. Then, he moved his son there so he woke up on Christmas morning in his own room with all of his favorite things. Apparently, it was an amazing Christmas!

Yesterday:

We left Colorado Springs for Hartsell, CO. A small town. The ride was difficult to say the least. I was sweep (aka required to be the last person to arrive). We climbed up 6,000 ft and we dropped 4,000 for a net gain of 2,000. We had every type of bad weather possible thrown at us. It hailed on us 3 times.. which is insanely painful and scary, but there was no shelter in site so we had to ride on. We had side winds and head winds... and maybe a tail wind. It was definitely a beautiful day to see all of the 14,000 ft mountains in the chain as we went. Last night we slept in an igloo.. All 32 of us fit but it was a tight squeeze to say the least.


Today:

Well we are currently at lunch. So far, we have climbed about 10 miles up and had a nice downhill stretch for the last 15 miles. This afternoon should be difficult. Tomorrow we will be going over Independence pass to get to Aspen. This pass is going to be incredibly difficult since it is about 20 miles of uphill. Luckily, we only have 30 miles total to account for the difficulty.

I hope everyone is doing well! Miss you all! Pictures soon.. I promise!

No comments: